After completing three rounds of the 21 Day Fix Program with acceptable but slow results, I was ready to take my workouts to the next level, so to speak. The most logical step was to try the 21 Day Fix Extreme (FDX) program, although the promo video kinda scared me a little bit. Check it out below:
But as we all know, fortune favors the brave. So I bit the bullet and committed to these intense 30-minute workouts for 21 days. I am currently in my last week and have already decided to do another round because the results truly do speak for themselves. The way I see it, I can still improve my form, go for more reps, and use heavier weights to turn up the heat and scorch the remaining layers of fat. My ultimate goal is to get as shredded as the hot chicks in the workout videos AND fit into my skinny jeans again. Yep. It’s not gonna be easy, but it can be done.
Of course, I am not saying that the 21 Day Fix Extreme will work for you, or 99 percent of the population. But I am saying that it CAN work for you, if you approach it with the right mind set and 100 percent commitment to clean eating, portion control and no skipped workouts. If you have done any of the other Beachbody programs like Insanity or P90X, you will still get a kick out of this because the trainer, Autumn Calabrese, has her very own touch when it comes to whipping people into shape.
But for what it’s worth, here are my top 5 reasons why the 21 Day Fix Extreme program works for me:
- 30-Minute Workouts: Anyone can find 30 minutes in his/her busy day to work out. My preferred workout time is first thing in the morning, which means less sleep if I do longer workouts. But with a 30-minute workout I can roll out of bed around 5:30 a.m., have a cup of coffee, and get my blood pumping before I head to work. Even if I have a slow start once I wake up, I can still squeeze in a short workout and get it done.
- Multi-dimensional Exercises: One thing I absolutely LOVE about Autum’s approach to fitness is that she knows how to get a lot done in the shortest time possible. As a result, she has created multi-dimensional exercises for this 21 DFX program, which make you work multiple body parts simultaneously. Needless to say, this way of working out is more challenging than doing simple squats, for example.
- 7-Day Workout Schedule: Yes, you will be working out 7 days a week with 21 DFX. However, two of those days are active recovery days with the Pilates Extreme and Yoga Extreme workouts. So technically, you are only working out with weights five days a week, which is perfectly acceptable in terms of rest needed. The benefit of not skipping a day in your workout schedule is that you are creating a new, healthy habit. And when it comes to success, consistency is key! Not to mention that pilates and yoga are extremely effective in relieving muscle tension and soreness.
- Interval training: As a multiple Insanity alumna, my body absolutely thrives during interval training. There is no better way to get your heart rate up, period. That said, it also prevents boredom and allows you to shoot for maximum performance for those 30-60 seconds without focusing on counting reps.
- Weight training: For the record, I love weight training. It feels good and makes me strong. Pure cardio alone will never yield the same results, even if you just want to lose weight. But what is the point of being smaller and still all flabby??? The only way to tone up and get shredded is by building muscles through weight training. And don’t forget that those muscles will continue to burn calories even when you are not working out. With 21 DFX I work my upper body and lower body with free weights (and a resistance band during the pilates workout) while creating rock hard core muscles (a.k.a.: sexy abs).
Ultimately, the 21 DFX program really is the best of all worlds– weight training, interval training, pilates, yoga, and cardio. I feel like I am getting the most out of my 30-minute workouts with accelerated results. A word of caution though: expect to get sore, very sore. Also make sure to eat enough protein and use the Beachbody Recovery Formula to shorten your suffering. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need some pointers.